Friday, June 8, 2007

Redkudu: Question for Ms. Q

Question for you: since the AP classes tend to usurp a lot of the WWI lit, I'm looking for ways to bridge the students from Transcendentalism to The Great Gatsby.

WWI is not a historical period I have a great familiarity with, much to my chagrin. Can you suggest some resources for 1) a timeline, 2) a summary of events leading up to the war, and 3) some non-fiction (online) resources I might use in short, daily lessons (2-3)? I've googled for the usual, and found a few things, but nothing that really makes me excited. Anything that might help me show students the progression and economical circumstances that led to the "New wealth" vs. "Old wealth" of "Gatsby" would be greatly appreciated.

I did find this site, which appears to be dedicated to the 1914 Christmas Truce and various letters about it. I quite like the letters profiled, and feel I could use a few of them for close reading/grammar (language and syntax especially). What do you think of the site's authenticity? Can you help me bridge that horrible literary/history gap in my curriculum?

No comments: