Monday, June 4, 2007

Ms. Q: Classroom Management

Even though we are both still in the early planning stages, I thought it might be interesting to share some basics of our classroom management routines. Some general questions:
  • Do you use a lesson plan book?

I don't use a formal plan book. I type up my lesson plans onto a form I created and keep them in a three-ring binder. I include my objective (language and literary), materials needed, and the lesson. I have an abbreviated version of this form, which I hang up on my BB for students to use if they were absent.

  • Do you have students keep a notebook or journal? If so, how do you check it?

I have done both. Checking has been a nightmare, but I am going to use Dana's suggestion for notebook checks this year. I may use journals, but again, it becomes a nightmare to check and if I don't check them, they don't do them.

  • What materials do you expect students to bring to class?

Students are to have a notebook (3 or 5 subject), writing utensils, index cards, highlighters, and a good dictionary (kept at home).

No comments: