Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Ms. Q: Some Planning Questions

Ok. Here is where I am at right now.

I have taken my state standards and culled the ones I won't have time to cover (because the have "already" been covered and we work on them with every story anyway--like reading comprehension).

I took my list of standards and turned them into B R O A D objectives.

I took these broad objectives and found the following list of CONCEPTS I need to cover:
Vocabulary development using roots and affixes as inference clues
Literary elements: hyperbole, metaphor, etc. (the list seems endless!)
Author's purpose (all genres)
Theme-P O V-Setting-Characterization-Plot
Poetry elements
Author's use of evidence
Structure
Persuasion (techniques, use of)
Writing Process
6 Traits of Writing
Types of Writing: Personal Narrative, Non-fiction, work document, persuasive piece
Research

Now I am looking at my history outline and determining what eras I will cover when and determining how much time I have for each era.

Once I have determined this, I will move on to selecting the major work(s) to study for each era and some of the supplemental materials.

Once I have this I can go ahead and determine where the above concepts are best covered.

I have stumbled across a few questions:

How do you teach research? Is it a unit saved for a specific time? Is it a building of skills?
I want to build on research skills all year. When I have taught it as a distinct unit in the past, students did not do well with research. I do think being able to incorporate more primary and secondary source documents will help teach certain research skills small amounts at a time. I plan on having the students complete the research standards through the election project. More on this as the project develops.

How much fiction versus non-fiction do you cover?

Do you discuss or point out purposes for reading (i.e.; reading a textbook, reading for specific information, reading to determine author's purpose, etc.)? How?

Do you teach dialogue writing?

Do you do an author study?

2 comments:

Clix said...

*blink* Are these questions that people've asked you, or questions that you're asking Redkudu?

(Just curious.)

Redkudu said...

Dana, she's asking me, or anyone else who wants to comment.

This blog is intended to show what a back-and-forth between two teachers would look like (as if we were emailing), but is open to commentary. Comment away!