Monday, June 4, 2007

Ms. Q: Gatsby and History

I had my doubts, when I started teaching, about each level having "their" set of readings. I often re-read material for pleasure or for further meaning making. I think school should be no different. It's funny how we encourage students to become "lifetime" readers, yet fail to offer this process in lifetime reading. However, I do see several reasons why each level might have their own set of readings:
  1. Students who have read something before may rebel or check out when reading it again. I do think an effective teacher could find a way around this.
  2. The use of a piece at an earlier grade may make it impossible for a later teacher to use it effectively. Case in point--I wanted to read Liam O'Flaherty's The Sniper as an introduction to the idea of brother versus brother in the Civil War. As we began reading, the students were quick to point out the "surprise ending," which was the whole point of reading the story--as an introduction to the study of the Civil War and the effect the war had on the front lines.
  3. Broadens students literary background.

I am sure there are more, but these are just a few. However, I would think your AP teachers would encourage use of the same novels in the regular courses, unless a large number of students take both courses--normal and AP?

Anyway, on to the questions:

I will post an outline for my election project sometime tomorrow.

Being a history major has always put the historical aspect front and center when it comes to American Literature. The first thing I always do with a piece of literature is to look at the period it was written in--what would have been the audience's experiences, how would their experiences have played into the reading of the piece, what might be some allusions or allegories which relate directly to the historical time period. Being a teacher of history and literature allows me to empasize both sides of literature--the author's historical frame of reference and the literary aspects of the literature, which often times is directly related to the history surrounding a piece. Being able to incorporate literature into the study of literature also offers an opportunity for students to analyze the literary pieces as well as the historical period around the piece.

As for Gatsby, I went back and looked in my book o' plans and found we read Winter Dreams and discussed wealth and status, then went on to read Chapter 1 from Gatsby to analyze the symbols and themes present as related to wealth and status. Then we would view the video, stopping often to discuss themes, metaphors, and symbols. I am looking forward to trying to read the whole novel and am working hard to make the time to do so. The students, especially the girls, are always enamoured with Daisy at the beginning, but are pretty quick to look deeper into her character and her flaws, especially when she encourages her daughter to be just like her. I connect this study of status and wealth to the overriding importance of such at the beginning of the 20th century. I discuss the factors which lead to this "wealth" and connect it to present day. Many students are intrigued to learn this is when "credit" really took off and how it relates to the idea of the "American Dream."

As for the answers to my own questions:

1. I prefer outside reading as well, for two reasons: 1) when we read together as a class, it is easy for a student to "check out" and catch up during the discussion phase, and 2) outside reading encourages independence on the part of the student. I teach in an area where students have been given the benefit of the doubt and allowed to "pass" classes by merely "trying" to accomplish the tasks set before them. I realized quickly, by reading in class, I was giving them no ownership of their own reading processes. Other teachers couldn't figure out why they were having trouble getting kids to read on their own. When questioned about their process, many times teachers assigned too much outside reading AND re-read the SAME thing in class the next day. Uh, who's going to do the reading if the teacher is going to read it the next day?

2. Grammar is an area I severely lack in my plans. I plan to change this, because I see it as a vital piece of the reading/writing puzzle, especially for my students.

3. Like you I teach both reading and writing. I try to structure writing in a way in which it is a scaffolded process and one with intense revision/editing periods for FINAL draft papers.

4. My goal for English III: My students should leave my room able to read any form of text by understanding it all OR using strategies good readers use. My students should leave with an appreciation for the viewpoints of others and how to respond critically in an appropriate manner. My students should leave being able to write a well revised piece of persuasive writing. I think this is the form of writing which MOST adults in the "real world" are expected to write, yet few students leave high school knowing HOW to write in this manner. Students will also leave being able to question a text analytically based on the historical background surrounding the writing.

No comments: